Prof. Charles Vincent
Our aim is to use research to both understand and improve the safety of healthcare and other industries. Members of the group have worked extensively in many clinical contexts, in aviation, in the oil and nuclear industries. We are currently focused on three broad areas:
(i) Organisational failure and resilience. The NHS has suffered many serious failures in recent years and there is no consensus on how regulators and others should monitor the early signs of failure. We are examining how this might be done and in parallel assessing the broader role of regulation in the NHS.
(ii) Improving patient safety. With colleagues in the Oxford Academic Health Science Network we are assessing the nature and scale of safety problems in the NHS and evaluating the impact of patient safety improvement programmes. We are also evaluating a programme to improve the measurement and monitoring of safety in the NHS.
(iii) Safety strategies and models. Safety in healthcare has been approached in a largely uniform manner but safety is actually managed and achieved very differently across contexts. We are assessing how these models might be compared and how safety strategies might be developed and implemented in different clinical contexts.
We welcome enquiries from students, researchers, or practitioners interested in collaborating with us. Please contact Charles Vincent in the first instance.
Dr Jill Bailey, Head of Patient Safety, Oxford Academic Health Science Network and Consultant Nurse, Oxford Health NHS Foundation Trust
Dr Jane Carthey, Human Factors and Patient Safety Specialist
Dr Clare Goyder, GP Registrar and Academic Clinical Fellow, Nuffield Department of Primary Health Care Sciences
Dr Helen Higham, Senior Clinical Research Fellow, Nuffield Department of Clinical Neurosciences, and Consultant Anaesthetist, Oxford University Hospitals NHS Trust
Dr Matthew Inada-Kim, Consultant in Acute Medicine, Hampshire Hospitals NHS Foundation Trust
Dr Eleanor Murray, Improvement Science Fellow, The Health Foundation,
- Safer Healthcare: Strategies for the real world (Jan 2016) by Charles Vincent and René Amalberti - ebook is free to download
- Going into Hospital? A guide for patients, carers and families (Aug 2015) by Charles Vincent, Oliver Warren and Bryony Dean Franklin
- Close Calls: Managing risk and resilience in airline flight safety (March 2014) by Carl Macrae
- Patient Safety (June 2010) by Charles Vincent
- The Berwick Review: A promise to learn - a commitment to act (Aug 2013) by the National Advisory Group on the Safety of Patients in England
- The Francis Report: Report of the Mid Staffordshire NHS Foundation Trust Public Inquiry (Feb 2013)