Oxford Centre for Anxiety Disorders and Trauma (Prof. David Clark and Prof Anke Ehlers)
Created 3 NICE-recommended therapies
Funded by the Wellcome Trust and NIHR, part of the Oxford cognitive health Clinical Research Facility
We work to improve the understanding and treatment of anxiety disorders. We currently focus on Posttraumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) and Social Anxiety Disorder (Social Phobia).
The Oxford Centre for Anxiety Disorders and Trauma (OxCADAT) aims to improve understanding of the development and maintenance of anxiety disorders and develop more effective and efficient psychological therapies. Past successes of the Centre’s research team, which is led by Professor David M Clark and Professor Anke Ehlers, include developing specialised forms of cognitive therapy that are now recommended by NICE as first line treatments for panic disorder, posttraumatic stress disorder and social anxiety disorder.
Pure genius with a real-world application - American Psychological Association Awards Committee
The Centre currently focuses on further enhancing and disseminating its treatments for PTSD and social anxiety disorder. It supports a closely integrated programme of psychopathology studies, treatment development work and randomized controlled trials. We work closely with the Centre for Anxiety Disorders and Trauma in London, founded by Professors Clark, Ehlers and Salkovskis in 2000.
Advancing cognitive therapy for anxiety disorders and PTSD (Wellcome trust, Pls Ehlers and Clark)
Preventing PTSD, depression and associated physical health problems in emergency workers (MQ, PI Dr Wild)
- Information on supporting children and adolescents after major trauma
We regret that we do not have any capacity to offer internships to external students in 2017.
- The Oxford University impacts video about the IAPT programme is now online: https://youtu.be/KwZfee2erkw
- Dr Jennifer Wild has been awarded a grant of £90,000 by the national mental health charity, Mind, to evaluate a resilience intervention for emergency service workers: "A randomised controlled trial of Mind’s resilience intervention for emergency service workers."
- "Thrive: The power of evidence-based psychological therapies" (OxCADAT's latest book)
- Professor Ehlers receives Award for Distinguished Scientific Contributions to Psychology 2014
- BBC Radio 4 interview with Professor Clark discussing treatment of anxiety problems. BBC Radio 4, 28th January 2014
- Professor Ehlers has been awarded the German Psychology Prize 2013
- Professor Clark has been appointed a CBE "for services to mental health" in the New Year's Honour List
- NICE Recommendations for Social Anxiety Disorder published on 22 May 2013 http://guidance.nice.org.uk/cg159/
- Can virtual reality help soldiers with PTSD? BBC World News, 25th September 2012
- How daydreaming improves our memory: the latest research. BBC Breakfast News, 18th March 2012
- Traumatic loss and the M5 crash. BBC Breakfast News, 8th November 2011